21 May, 2005

Toronto Apple Store Opens

Today, an Apple store (the first in Canada) opened in Toronto's Yorkdale Mall. It was mentioned that there would be free t-shirts given away to the first 1500 people that came in, so I figured I'd drop by around the opening time (9:30 a.m.) and see if I could get a t-shirt.

Well, I got to the mall at about 9:35, and was unsure where exactly the Apple store was. I figured I'd drive around the outside (as I was pretty sure there was an outside entrance to the store) and see if I could find it, in order to minimize the hunting around inside the mall. As I turned one of the corners of the mall, I could not believe my eyes - there was a lineup of at least 2000 people, stretching along one entire side of the mall. There were yellow barriers, police officers, and all the other things that made it look more like the opening of Star Wars Episode III a couple of days ago than like the opening of a retail store.

Perhaps I'm just crazy, but the opening of a retail store does not seem like the kind of thing people should flock to in such massive droves. I do realize that I went there as well, however I was lured by the possibility of a free t-shirt and morbid curiosity - there's certainly no way I was going to stand in a line that long for a retail store that'll be open for a long time to come.

People are insane. If we could find a way to harness stupidity as a power source, then all of our power needs would be fulfilled for all time.

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home