09 August, 2005

Peaches and cream

I found out yesterday evening (Sunday) that Peter Jennings had died. Apparently he died of lung cancer.

As I lay in bed falling asleep that night, I stroked my wife's hair for a few minutes. I wondered how many people would never get the chance to do that again, and how many people had seen the sun rise on Sunday morning, but had not seen the sunset. I wondered how I would handle the loss of someone I love so much, and how long it would be before I was able to sleep again. I wondered if I would ever be free of the feeling of emptiness and of longing, and I hoped that I would never have to deal with it (being the male in the relationship, odds are I'll shove off first).

It's interesting how random events can make me feel philosophical.

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home